Did you know that grass often has a bad reputation? Some even consider it more polluting than beneficial. In reality, our green fields are fascinating and bring a lot of important benefits to our planet. Here are 7 unheard facts to prove it:
- Grass is one of the biggest oxygen producers of the planet. It is said that it even produces 3 times more than trees! In fact, a lawn of 2,500 square feet (762m2) produces enough oxygen for a family of four.
- Grass roots prevent soil erosion. It is estimated that every year 25 billion tons of soil disappears because of erosion. Imagine a world without lawns. This number would be even more alarming.
- Because grass is composed of 75-80% water, it has the ability to refresh its direct environment. For example, in the summer when it’s very hot, the surface of a sidewalk can easily reach 40°C, while the lawn right next to it sits between 20 and 30°C. A huge difference!
- Grass is also an anti-pollutant. It is able to absorb surprising quantities of toxins and dirt like carbon dioxide (CO2). We can then confirm that lawns are a must in large urban centers.
- Lawns can absorb impressive amounts of water, this makes them essential in urban communities to prevent flooding. A medium sized lawn can absorb 22,000 liters of a water at a time, depending on the type of soil and its water filtration capacity.
- Grasses grow in a special way. Contrary to most plants, it grows from the base and not the tip. This allows it to be grazed, burned, and mowed without it getting damaged. Therefore it grows back easily and quickly.
- Lawns absorb a lot of things, even sounds. Having a lawn at home contributes to reducing surrounding sounds which produces a more calm and sane environment.
Fascinating isn’t it? After reading about these unheard facts, it is easy to see to what point, durable and healthier lawns are essential to humans, animals, and our beautiful planet. Confide yours to us starting today for a conscious maintenance that respects in vigor our environmental norms.