If your Nutrite expert just seeded your lawn, you can be happy because you’ll have a nice green lawn within a few weeks. Until then, know that there are things that you can do to help your land, including making sure the new seeds have enough water. Well, yes, successfully seeding your lawn does not only rely on who plants it… it is rather a team effort!
What is your role exactly? It’s not just watering seeds here and there when it seems right. We recommend you follow precise directions. In this article our experts reveal their magic formula to successfully seed your lawn!
One of the secrets to successful seeding is watering! Lawn seeds need humidity and a minimum soil temperature of 10 degree Celsius to start sprouting. As soon as it starts to sprout, the seeds must not dry themselves out completely. This is where you come in.
Here’s how to adequately water:
- Water daily with the help of a light drizzle for a minimum of 21 days. Be sure to respect these number of days, or else it’s possible some variety of grasses won’t be established.
Why 21 days? Most of new lawns are seeded with more than one type of seed. Some are rapid growth seeds, while others are slow. Those ones typically take 21 days to sprout, which explains the three week rule.
-Avoid overwatering with too large quantities of water
-Also avoid the soil getting completely dried out: A dry soil will stop growth periods for the seeds.
- Once sprouting has begun, avoid walking on it to not ruin the small sprouts.
- Ideally, you must not walk on the new seeded area for a 3 week period.
- Only mow once your lawn has reached a height of 4 inches.
- Make sure that the lawn is dry before mowing it for the first time and that you are using a sharp blade on your mower.
This is how seeding lawns is a team effort between your Nutrite expert and yourself. Just be hardworking and you’ll have a nice green, durable and healthier lawn.
The next step is to adequately feed your lawn with the right fertilizers. If someone knows what they are doing with fertilizers, it definitely is your Nutrite experts! Ask them for tips or fill out our online form to get a free lawn evaluation starting now.